The following article was written by Aparna Mathur.
Hopefully all of you will be acquainted with your Year reps and Department rep by now. However, it may be a bit of a mystery what we actually do! Behold... this article is here to enlighten you...
What even IS a rep?!
As your reps, we are here to represent YOU. Your opinions and suggestions are a big part of what makes this department Number 1 in the world – that’s right, suck it Oxbridge. Your input helps to improve things for yourself and for future years, so it’s really important to make yourself heard. So if there are any issues, make your year reps aware. Year Reps will regularly meet with year coordinators and the Dep Rep. Issues that haven’t been resolved within the year group are escalated to the Dep Rep, and then brought up at Staff Student Liaison Committee Meetings (SSLCs).
Another way to make yourself heard with regards to feedback on individual modules is through the use of SOLE, where you may anonymously give your feedback on individual courses and lecturers. I cannot EMPHASISE the IMPORTANCE of this enough. It’s a great way to give your opinion about a course and provide constructive feedback for the department, who really DO care about our student experience. You will receive and email about SOLE close to the end of term, so look out for it!
Success Stories so far...
Here are a few examples of the sort of stuff reps have achieved in the past:
- MICROWAVES IN SKEMPTON!!! – That’s right, we didn’t always have those.. (Editor: They are the best things since gravity!)
- Postponed coursework deadlines – when the coursework schedule hasn’t been kept to, it is brought up with the year coordinator. Either the coursework has been shifted, or in one case even removed.
- Reimbursed printer credit for group projects
- Provision of more tutorial sessions
- Use of PANOPTO to record revision lectures before exams
So, WHO are your reps? (Editor: The suspense is killing me!)